Hearty Chicken Broccoli Soup
This soup will soon become a favorite of your family. You will want to make it on every cold day.—Frankie Marie Gingrich, Palmyra, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) cut broccoli with cheese sauce, thawed and chopped
- Seasoned croutons, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in butter until crisp-tender. Stir in the flour, mustard, salt and pepper. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in the lemon juice, chicken and broccoli. Heat through. Garnish with croutons if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 197 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 398mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 13g protein.
Jul 11, 2016
Very hearty and delicious soup! I personally like my soups with a bit more seasoning so I added a 1/4 tsp garlic powder and 1/4 tsp more of salt. This will be a new family favourite!