Hearty Chicken Broccoli Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) cut broccoli with cheese sauce, thawed and chopped
- Seasoned croutons, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in butter until crisp-tender. Stir in the flour, mustard, salt and pepper. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in the lemon juice, chicken and broccoli. Heat through. Garnish with croutons if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 197 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 398mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 13g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 11, 2016
Very hearty and delicious soup! I personally like my soups with a bit more seasoning so I added a 1/4 tsp garlic powder and 1/4 tsp more of salt. This will be a new family favourite!