- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) cut broccoli in cheese sauce, thawed and chopped
- Seasoned croutons, optional
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Saute onion and celery until crisp-tender. Stir in flour, mustard, salt and pepper. Cook until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Gradually add milk; cook and stir until mixture boils and thickens. Stir in the lemon juice, chicken and broccoli. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until heated through. Top with croutons, if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forHearty Chicken Broccoli Soup
"Very hearty and delicious soup! I personally like my soups with a bit more seasoning so I added a 1/4 tsp garlic powder and 1/4 tsp more of salt. This will be a new family favourite!"