No question—this is my favorite soup. It's so filling that I serve it as a hearty main dish, and I have given the recipe to many of our friends and relatives. It tastes too good to keep to yourself!
Recommended: 30 Chicken Noodle Soups from Around the World
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 pounds), cut up
- 2 quarts water
- 1-1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- In a stock pot, cook chicken in water until tender. Remove chicken and set aside until cool enough to handle. Cool broth and skim off fat.
- Remove meat from bones; discard bones and cut meat into cubes; return to pot along with remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer for at least 1 hour or until vegetables and barley are tender. Remove bay leaf before serving. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Barley Soup in Taste of Home's Down-Home Diabetic Cookbook Annual 1995, p82
Reviews forHearty Chicken Barley Soup
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 24, 2013