Hearty Cheese-Stuffed Potatoes
These cheesy potatoes are so hearty, my husband and I often eat them as a main dish.—Patricia Richardson, Bend, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 70 min. + cooling Broil: 5 min.
- 4 medium baking potatoes (2 pounds)
- 1 cup chopped leeks (white portion only)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1/2 cup 2% cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat plain yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Wrap each potato in foil. Bake at 375° for 1 hour or until tender. Cool.
- Remove foil; cut potatoes in half lengthwise. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell; set shells aside. In a bowl, mash pulp until smooth.
- In a skillet, saute the leeks, onion and garlic in oil. Add to mashed potatoes. Stir in the corn, cottage cheese, yogurt, salt and pepper. Spoon into potato shells.
- Place on a baking sheet. Broil 6 in. from the heat for 3-5 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 183 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 224mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Cheese-Stuffed Potatoes in Country Woman January/February 2001