Cathy Smith of Amarillo, Texas shares a stick-to-the-ribs family pleaser. “Chunky and cheesy, this rich creamy soup is simply wonderful during cold winter months,” she notes. TASTY TIP: If your family prefers a “Cheeseburger Soup” flavor, substitute lean ground beef for the ground turkey.
Recommended: Classic Homemade Soup Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 4 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 6 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- In a nonstick skillet, cook turkey and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the potatoes, broth, carrots, celery, salt, basil, parsley and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and milk until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low; add the cheese. Cook and stir until cheese is melted. Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Cheese Soup in Light & Tasty February/March 2006, p61
Reviews forHearty Cheese Soup
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 11, 2013
"This is a family favorite for years! I do not change a thing."
Reviewed Feb. 27, 2011
"One of our kids favorite."