I added caraway to my father's recipe to give this old-fashioned dish a robust taste. Whether served with just the sauce of with meat, this makes a filling meal.
Recommended: 39 Quick Vegetarian Meals for Winter Weeknights
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon whole caraway seeds
- Pepper to taste
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 to 6 slices white or whole wheat bread, toasted
- 4 to 6 slices cooked turkey, chicken, beef or ham, optional
- Chopped fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium high heat. Stir in flour to form a smooth paste. Gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir until the mixture is smooth and thickened. Add the Worcestershire sauce, mustard, caraway and pepper. Stir until well blended. Add the cheese; cook and stir over low heat until melted.
- Cut toast diagonally and place on individual plates. If desired, top each with a slice of meat. Spoon cheese sauce over meat and toast. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Cheese 'N' Toast in Country Woman May/June 1993, p37