Hearty Cauliflower Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 4 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 2 cups water
- 1 pound fully cooked smoked sausage, cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- In a large saucepan, cook cauliflower and carrots in water until tender; set aside (do not drain).
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown the sausage and onion. Add flour, salt and pepper. Gradually add the milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add cauliflower, carrots and cooking liquid; heat through. Stir in the cheese until melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 349 calories, 24g fat (12g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 1250mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 22, 2018
A go to when I have my sausage, yum!
Nov 12, 2014
I have made this soup for many years now. Our four children all loved it and now make it for their families. I modified it by not using as much water to cook the veggies ahead of time. I vary the thickness with the flour and milk white sauce. I also add a teaspoon of Cajun seasoning for kicked up flavor.
Feb 10, 2014
I make this often. It's a great comfort food for the cold winter months!
Sep 13, 2012
What a delightful soup. We loved it. I'll be making this one again.
Feb 11, 2010
This soup is wonderful and easy to throw together. I probably make it once a month for my family. I reduce fat and calories by using turkey kielbasa or sausage, skim milk, and 2% velveeta. We absolutely love it!