- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large butternut squash (about 5 pounds), peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn, divided
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chicken base
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Heavy whipping cream and minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a stockpot, cook sausage, onion and red pepper over medium heat 9-11 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender, breaking up sausage into crumbles. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove with a slotted spoon; discard drippings.
- Add squash, 1-1/2 cups corn, water and chicken base to same pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes or until squash is tender.
Remove soup from heat; cool slightly. Process in batches in a blender until smooth. Return to pot. Add beans, tomatoes, salt, pepper, sausage mixture and remaining corn; heat through. If desired, drizzle servings with cream and sprinkle with parsley.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 12 servings (4-1/2 quarts).
Reviews forHearty Butternut Squash Soup
"Delicious and VERY hearty! I tend to rush through recipes and I did with this one. Got a few steps out of order...but still yummy ?? Have to make it again and see if it makes a big difference. It's like a squash chili . Only better."
"Perfect soup for a cold winters day or night. Very filling and satisfying. Taste and Chunky Texture are perfect. . Only changes I made were that I used (1) jarred pimento as I did not have any red peppers on hand. I also left out the corn to make it more carb friendly. No one walks away hungry after a bowl of this fantastic soup.JanieTaste of Home Volunteer Food Editor."
"Love this recipe. I would like permission to put it on my website to share."
"I added some jalepenos and zipped it up a notch because my family likes it hot. Delicious!"
"I made this soup a couple of years ago. It is wonderful. Love the combination of the butternut squash, sausage and beans and corn. Different and delicious. Will make it again this Fall."
""Hearty" certainly describes this soup! It has lots of character and makes a good wintertime meal. We cheated a bit and bought pre-cut and peeled squash. I also cooked the squash and corn in chicken broth in a pot while sauteeing the sausage, onion, and pepper in a skillet. It saved prep time. The servings were rich enough to eat without cream, but we put it on the table in case anyone wanted it."
"I was never a big fan of butternut squash until I made this recipe. Delicious!"