- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large butternut squash (about 5 pounds), peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn, divided
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chicken base
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Heavy whipping cream and minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a stockpot, cook sausage, onion and red pepper over medium heat 9-11 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender, breaking up sausage into crumbles. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove with a slotted spoon; discard drippings.
- Add squash, 1-1/2 cups corn, water and chicken base to same pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes or until squash is tender.
Remove soup from heat; cool slightly. Process in batches in a blender until smooth. Return to pot. Add beans, tomatoes, salt, pepper, sausage mixture and remaining corn; heat through. If desired, drizzle servings with cream and sprinkle with parsley.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 12 servings (4-1/2 quarts).
Reviews forHearty Butternut Squash Soup
"I loved this soup and so did everybody I shared a bowl with. Next time I think I'll roast the squash to avoid the bother of peeling or the expense of buying pre-chopped. Also rinsed and drained the tomatoes to keep the vibrant butternut color."
"Delicious!! Used jarred roasted red peppers and omitted tomatoes as I didn't have any but amazing mix of flavors and texture. Will become a regular cool season favorite."
"We thought it was great. Great taste, although I didn't add red pepper and used sweet onion diced tomatoes instead of what was recommended, but we all loved it. The hardest part was getting the squash peeled and chopped up."
"Delicious and VERY hearty! I tend to rush through recipes and I did with this one. Got a few steps out of order...but still yummy ?? Have to make it again and see if it makes a big difference. It's like a squash chili . Only better."
"Perfect soup for a cold winters day or night. Very filling and satisfying. Taste and Chunky Texture are perfect. . Only changes I made were that I used (1) jarred pimento as I did not have any red peppers on hand. I also left out the corn to make it more carb friendly. No one walks away hungry after a bowl of this fantastic soup.JanieTaste of Home Volunteer Food Editor."
"Love this recipe. I would like permission to put it on my website to share."
"I added some jalepenos and zipped it up a notch because my family likes it hot. Delicious!"
"I made this soup a couple of years ago. It is wonderful. Love the combination of the butternut squash, sausage and beans and corn. Different and delicious. Will make it again this Fall."