Hearty Black-Eyed Pea Soup Recipe
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 3 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 4 teaspoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook the sausage, beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Yield: 12-16 servings (4 quarts).
1 each: 145 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 731mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Reviews for Hearty Black-Eyed Pea Soup
"Great alternative to Hoppin' John for New Year's Day."
"This another good soup that be "spiced up" depending on how hot you like it! Good for the whole family!!"
"Delicious!!!! Added diced canned jalapenos cuz my family likes spicy. And the ground sausage I used was hot."
"This was our January "good luck" meal. It is definitely a keeper."
"No one in my family likes black-eyed peas except for me, so it took some coaxing on my part to get them to try it. Wow! Everyone loved it and I spent the next several days emailing the recipe to all my family members. This year we made it for friends as Christmas gifts! I particularly like that it is low in calorie, tastes fabulous, and is Weight Watcher friendly! I would definitely encourage anyone to make this even if you don't like black-eyed pease!"
"Sorry. Forgot to rate it.Avery"
"Made this yesterday and was very good. A lot of meat. The only real change I made was to use 4 cups of beef broth instead of the bouillon and water and Rotel Mild for the diced tomatoes with green chilis. Also didn't use the regular salt. Next time I'll also use low-sodium beef broth and maybe add some chopped green pepper. Browned the beef and onion and heated everything in a crockpot for 5 hrs. on low. Use a 5 qt. pot at least. I think some cornbread would also go very good with this. Thanks for the recipe.Avery"
"My hubby said this one is a "keeper". A very hearty and tasty soup."