- 1 pound dried black beans
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cubed
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese and thinly sliced green onions, optional
- Place beans in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; soak for 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven or soup kettle over medium heat, cook the beef, chicken and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add water, tomato sauce, tomatoes and seasonings; mix well. Add beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until beans are tender. Garnish with cheese and green onions if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews forHearty Black Bean Chili
"I am not fond of red kidney beans so the black beans really hit the spot. The combination of flavors and texture make this an awsome meal, especially served with corn bread. And, if you are pressed for time, you can also used canned black beans."
"I didn't have the time to use dried black beans, so I used canned. This chili has very good flavor, I'll make it again!"