- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds red potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1-1/2 pounds lean chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, tapioca, basil, sugar, salt and pepper; let stand for 15 minutes. Place the potatoes, carrots, onion and celery in a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- In a large nonstick skillet, brown meat in oil over medium heat. Drain and transfer meat to slow cooker. Pour tomato mixture over the top. Cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forHearty Beef Vegetable Stew
"Our favorite beef stew"
"The Vegetable beef Stew was very tasty and very good to eat. Did not last very long in my house. Will make it again."
"This is a new favorite for my family! Will definitely make it again. It's very hearty and delicious!"
"picture looks much better in magazine"