Hearty Beef Vegetable Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 2 hours
Makes8 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 cups water
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until meat and vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 276 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 638mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 5g fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat.
Apr 8, 2018
Wow, this is delicious! I liked the photo and had some potatoes to use up, so I decided to make this recipe. It was a big hit with everyone! I will definitely be making this again.
Jul 1, 2017
This soup is satisfying on a cold winter day. It.reminds me of the soup my Mom could make!!
Jan 1, 2016
Filling and full of taste.
Mar 4, 2009
This is by far the best beef vegetable soup I have ever eaten. My husband raved about it too. Very tasty and filling enough for a meal when served with bread. Thanks!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.