Hearty Beef Enchiladas Recipe
- 4 pounds ground beef
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cans (16 ounces each) chili beans, undrained
- 4 cans (10 ounces each) enchilada sauce, divided
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa, divided
- Canola oil
- 28 corn or flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cans (2-1/4 ounces each) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1. In a stock pot, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the beans, two cans of enchilada sauce and 1 cup salsa; set aside.
- 2. In a small skillet, heat 1/4 in. of oil. Dip each tortilla in hot oil for 3 seconds on each side or just until limp; drain on paper towels.
- 3. Top each tortilla with 2/3 cup beef mixture. Roll up and place seam side down in four greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Drizzle with remaining enchilada sauce and salsa. Sprinkle with cheese and olives.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 28 servings.
1 each: 340 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 555mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein.
Reviews for Hearty Beef Enchiladas
"This is a really great recipe! I've been making it for years. It's especially good for things like pot luck dinners or parties etc., since it can be made to feed a lot of people, and it's always a hit. You can leave out the beans if you prefer, and it's just as good. I always add chopped green chilies to the ground beef mixture to give it extra flavor. As others have said, we also serve it with chopped tomatoes, lettuce, shredded cheese, and sour cream. It's a real favorite in our house! Just delicious!"
"Our family and friends love this recipe and I've shared it many times. We also add lettuce, sour cream and other toppings sometimes. To make it more hearty we add rice to the filling. I often make a double batch to freeze some (without rice added)."
"I ran across this recipe years ago in one of my Taste of Home magazines. I have been making it for years and it is always a great hit. I always makes sure I have sour cream, lettuce and tomatoes for toppings. Once I made it even in a crock pot and it was DELICIOUS!! I just torn up the tortillas in pieces."
"I've been making this recipe for several years! It's great for kids, family and company! easy, yummy and the filling freezes really well!"
"We divide the ingredients by 4 and make just one pan at a time. We make this so often, I have it memorized!! I omit the chopped onions, otherwise make as stated. An abosulte favorite in our home!"