Created by my daughter, this spicy, meaty and cheesy casserole is great for a get-together with family and friends. I make it frequently for potlucks.—Marina Castle, North Hollywood, California
Recommended: 75 Winning Recipes For Your Super Bowl Potluck
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 9 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) chopped ripe olives, drained
- Optional ingredients: Sour cream and avocado slices
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the taco seasoning, salt and pepper.
- In a greased 5-qt. slow cooker, layer three tortillas, beef mixture, broth, tomato sauce and enchilada sauce; sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese. Add three tortillas, beans, Mexicorn, green chilies, half of the olives and 1/2 cup cheese. Top with remaining tortillas, cheese and olives.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours. Serve with sour cream and avocado if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Beef Enchilada in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2011, p20
Reviews forHearty Beef Enchilada
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 29, 2014
"Very good flavor, however, 6 hours was way too long to cook this in my crockpot. It burned on the bottom and sides. It was also a little dry, but that could be because it burned."