Hearty Beef Enchilada
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 9 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) chopped ripe olives, drained
- Optional ingredients: Sour cream and avocado slices
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the taco seasoning, salt and pepper.
- In a greased 5-qt. slow cooker, layer three tortillas, beef mixture, broth, tomato sauce and enchilada sauce; sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese. Add three tortillas, beans, Mexicorn, green chilies, half of the olives and 1/2 cup cheese. Top with remaining tortillas, cheese and olives.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours. Serve with sour cream and avocado if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without optional ingredients): 350 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 1264mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 7g fiber), 24g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 29, 2014
Very good flavor, however, 6 hours was way too long to cook this in my crockpot. It burned on the bottom and sides. It was also a little dry, but that could be because it burned.