- 1 pound round steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, brown beef in oil; drain. Add broth, water, barley, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add carrots, celery, onion and parsley; simmer for 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add peas; simmer for 15 minutes. Yield: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Reviews forHearty Beef and Barley Soup
"I made this as written and it was a hit! I plan to make this recipe often and freeze some for cold winter days."
"Nice hearty flavour. Like a couple of previous reviewers, I added a couple of diced potatoes, a dash or Worcestershire sauce, a sprinkle of thyme and a bay leaf. I also used ground beef as I was out of round steak. A definite make again on a cold day."
"I made this quite some time ago and we enjoyed it. It has WAY too much sodium in it for us though. I did not add the salt, used low-sodium broth, added Mrs. Dash Original to get some flavor without the salt."
"Add a can of tomatos (cut-up) or a can of stewed tomatos,cut one can of broth if you want too."
"I was looking for recipes that the whole household could eat while one of our roommates is on a liquid diet after gastric sleeve surgery. I added extra barley because my grocery store only had the very small barley. While it was filling for those of us who could eat the whole soup, to him it just tasted like plain beef broth straight out of the can. Will probably add some more seasonings, like garlic and bay leaves, and a little Worcestershire sauce if I ever make it again."
"Even the kids liked this one!"
"too much sodium"