Hearty Bean Burritos
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup instant brown rice
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup canned no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 4 ounces fat-free cream cheese, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute pepper in oil until tender. In a large bowl, coarsely mash beans. Add the beans, tomatoes, cream cheese and seasonings to the skillet. Cook and stir until heated through; stir in rice.
- Spoon scant 1/2 cup filling off center on each tortilla. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cheese. Fold sides and ends over filling and roll up. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 314 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 479mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 6g fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.
Nov 20, 2014
This was pretty good, but it needed some adjustments. The filling was pretty watery, so next time I may drain the tomatoes. I also think I will use Rotel tomatoes instead to add some more flavor. My husband requested that I cut down on the amount of cream cheese, so there will be that, too. This is a good starting point at least!
Feb 9, 2014
This recipe was good but needed some spice so we added salsa to it!
Jul 26, 2011
Great base for healthy vegetarian burritos...I must admit I changed the recipe quite a bit..added 2 fresh jalepenos, red onion and use rotel instead of diced tomatoes and taco seasoning instead of the separate seasonings listed and no rice...I also omitted the cheese topping and added sliced avocado instead...delicious!
Apr 4, 2011
Pretty basic - Great quick meal . .Didn't enjoy it too much.
Mar 26, 2011
I used the salsa instead of tomatoes and it was really quite good and really easy.
Feb 20, 2011
Excellent!!!! I used diced tomatoes with lime juice & cilantro. Very good!!!
Feb 14, 2011
My fiancé and I have made these several times now. Per others' suggestions, we used salsa instead of diced tomatoes. We used black beans because we prefer them to pinto, and also added some lime juice at the end; the tanginess really helped tie the flavors together and added something that we thought was missing the first time we made it. This is a very easy and filling meal.
Jan 10, 2011
My husband made these for dinner tonight. He forgot to add the cream cheese, but they were still absolutly wonderul. I think adding a 1/4 cup black beans would be yummy too! I cannot wait to make them again.
Mar 25, 2010
This is a great recipe. I used 1 cup of salsa in place to the tomatoes. Great taste and very easy to make. This will make a good snack to eat after school or work. My husband loved this one. It is a keeper.
Jan 10, 2010
At first I found these kind of bland. I would definitely add more seasoning to it. It just didn't have the kick was I was looking for. I'd make it again, but modified.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.