Hearty Barley Bake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 12 ounces bulk pork sausage
- 1-1/2 cups cooked barley
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried savory
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, carrots and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In the same skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add to mushroom mixture. Stir in the barley, corn, spinach, onions, savory, thyme, marjoram and pepper.
- Transfer to a greased shallow 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 290 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 591mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 11g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 14, 2014
We did not like this recipe.
Feb 7, 2011
So good, so different, and great as leftovers!
Jan 12, 2011
Flavorful. You can easily halve this recipe for a smaller crowd. This made a 9x13 pan. We will be enjoying it for several days.