My mother has been making this stew since the 1940s and prepared it for our family many times through the years. It's loaded with vegetables for wonderful flavor and pretty presentation. - Judith Wood, Fredericktown, Ohio
Recommended: 30 Soup Recipes Ready in 30 Minutes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer potatoes and carrots. Crumble beef over carrots. Layer with the tomatoes, peas and onions. Dot with butter. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until the meat is no longer pink and the vegetables are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Baked Stew in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p123
Reviews forHearty Baked Stew
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 30, 2010
"I tried it and found it to be a very tasty dish. In fact I have made it twice in 3 days."