Hearty Baked Beans for Two
Old-fashioned baked-bean flavor gets jazzed up with garlic, brown sugar and mustard in our Test Kitchen’s easy, downsized version of this family favorite.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 bacon strip, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can (8 ounces) pork and beans
- 3/4 cup canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mustard
- In a small skillet, saute onion and bacon until onion is tender; drain. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the pork and beans, kidney beans, brown sugar, vinegar and mustard. Cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer to a 2-cup baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 265 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 577mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 10g fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Traditional Baked Beans in Cooking for 2 Summer 2007
Jul 4, 2010
Just what I was looking for
Jun 29, 2010
this is a wounderful recipe. Good potluck choice. Yummmmmmm!
Jun 15, 2010
Idoubled the ingredients, we &the grand kids all loved it.