Hearty Asparagus Quiche
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 pound fresh asparagus
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (10 inches)
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 10 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 4 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch pepper
- Cherry tomatoes, halved
- Cut eight asparagus spears 4-in. long for garnish. Cut remaining asparagus into 1/2-in. pieces, using only tender parts of stalks. Boil 1 qt. of water in a large saucepan; add salt and all of the asparagus. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain and rinse asparagus. Brush bottom of pastry shell with egg white, In a bowl combine asparagus, Swiss cheese and bacon; mix gently. Place in bottom of pastry shell. In another bowl, beat eggs, cream, nutmeg, salt and pepper until smooth. Pour into shell. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Arrange the asparagus spears, spoke fashion, on top of quiche; place cherry tomato halves between spokes.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 374 calories, 25g fat (13g saturated fat), 165mg cholesterol, 729mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 17g protein.
Jun 30, 2011
beautiful quiche looks just like picture. Tastes heavenly!! I used Jarlesburg swiss.
Mar 8, 2011
Excellent....I was a bit short on time when I made this, so I used frozen asparagus, and omitted the decorations. Was very good and will definitely make again!
Dec 24, 2007
This sounds good i' will have to make this some time.