Hearty Asparagus Quiche
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 pound fresh asparagus
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (10 inches)
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 10 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 4 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch pepper
- Cherry tomatoes, halved
- Cut eight asparagus spears 4-in. long for garnish. Cut remaining asparagus into 1/2-in. pieces, using only tender parts of stalks. Boil 1 qt. of water in a large saucepan; add salt and all of the asparagus. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain and rinse asparagus. Brush bottom of pastry shell with egg white, In a bowl combine asparagus, Swiss cheese and bacon; mix gently. Place in bottom of pastry shell. In another bowl, beat eggs, cream, nutmeg, salt and pepper until smooth. Pour into shell. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Arrange the asparagus spears, spoke fashion, on top of quiche; place cherry tomato halves between spokes.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 374 calories, 25g fat (13g saturated fat), 165mg cholesterol, 729mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 17g protein.
Jun 30, 2011
beautiful quiche looks just like picture. Tastes heavenly!! I used Jarlesburg swiss.
Mar 8, 2011
Excellent....I was a bit short on time when I made this, so I used frozen asparagus, and omitted the decorations. Was very good and will definitely make again!
Dec 24, 2007
This sounds good i' will have to make this some time.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.