Heartland Meat Cakes
Meats representative of America's Heartland—beef, pork and ham—are all used in this recipe, which I inherited from my mother. It makes a filling meal and is one of our family's favorites.—Virginia Bloomenrader, Highmore, South Dakota
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake:55 min.
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound lean ground pork
- 1/2 pound ground smoked ham
- 1 large egg
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups fine bread crumbs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup water
- In a bowl, combine beef, pork, ham, egg, onion, mashed potatoes, bread crumbs, milk, salt and pepper; mix until thoroughly combined. Divide into 12 portions, about 1/2 cup each, and shape into oval cakes. Place 1 in. apart in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Combine soup and water; pour over meat. Cover with foil; bake at 350° for 45 minutes, basting occasionally. Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 444 calories, 19g fat (7g saturated fat), 107mg cholesterol, 1380mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 29g protein.
Originally published as Heartland Meat Cakes in Country Ground Beef
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips