Heart-Shaped Coffee Cake
My family likes me to put all of my "heart" into making breakfast, and this special coffee cake is one they request often. The recipe feeds a crowd, but you'll be delighted (and surprised!) by how quickly your family will gobble it up.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; add sour cream, sugar, butter, eggs, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down; divide in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each half into a 20x10-in. rectangle. Place each on a greased baking sheet. On both long sides of each rectangle, make 2-in. cuts at 1/2-in. intervals. Spread pie filling down the center of each rectangle; crisscross strips over filling. Shape and stretch coffee cakes to form right and left halves of heart. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 50 minutes. Brush dough gently with egg white. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. While warm, brush with butter. Cool on wire racks. Combine glaze ingredients. When coffee cakes have cooled, place heart halves together; drizzle glaze over heart.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 292 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 293mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Heart-Shaped Coffee Cake in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.