Heart’s Delight Torte
Cherry pie filling dresses up homemade chocolate cake layers in this impressive dessert. "I found the recipe on a newspaper we used for packing material when we moved to our new home," recalls Nancy Heesch of Sioux Falls, South Dakota. "Our family enjoys it so much, it has become the traditional birthday cake at our house."
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cans (21 ounces each) cherry pie filling
- 1 cup whipped topping
- 2 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Stir in buttermilk and vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9-in. heart-shaped or round baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Split cake in half; place one layer on a serving plate. Spread with one can of pie filling; top with second cake layer. Pipe whipped topping around edge; garnish with chocolate chips.
- Spoon cherries from the second can of pie filling onto the top of the cake (refrigerate any remaining filling for another use).
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 258 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 182mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Heart's Delight Torte in Quick Cooking January/February 2002