Cherry pie filling dresses up homemade chocolate cake layers in this impressive dessert. "I found the recipe on a newspaper we used for packing material when we moved to our new home," recalls Nancy Heesch of Sioux Falls, South Dakota. "Our family enjoys it so much, it has become the traditional birthday cake at our house."
Recommended: 34 Easy Cake Decorating Ideas
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cans (21 ounces each) cherry pie filling
- 1 cup whipped topping
- 2 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips
- In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add the egg, buttermilk and vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture. Pour into a greased 9-in. heart-shaped or round baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Split cake in half; place one layer on a serving plate. Spread with one can of pie filling; top with second cake layer. Pipe whipped topping around edge; garnish with chocolate chips. Spoon cherries from the second can of pie filling onto the top of the cake (refrigerate any remaining filling for another use). Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Heart's Delight Torte in Quick Cooking January/February 2002, p19
Reviews forHeart's Delight Torte
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 1, 2009
"I loved this"