Healthy Vegetable Beef Stew
This was one of my Lebanese grandmother's original recipes. It is one of my family's favorite winter meals, so, we have it often in our home. This enables me to indulge in memories of her and the wonderful aromas and flavors I associated with her kitchen.—Mary Robbins, Clarksville, Arkansas Teacher, Westside Elementary School, Hartman, Arkansas
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 2-1/2 hours
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 3 cups water, divided
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen sliced okra, thawed
- 1-1/2 cups frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 4-1/2 cups uncooked egg noodles
- In a stockpot, brown roast in oil on all sides. Remove and set aside. Add onion and garlic to the pan; cook until tender. Return meat to the pan. Add 2 cups water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat to a cutting board. Cut into 3/4-in. pieces; return to pan. Stir in the tomatoes, eggplant, potatoes, beans, tomato sauce, cinnamon, salt, pepper and remaining water.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender, adding okra and green beans during the last 5 minutes of cooking. Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions. Serve with stew.
Nutrition Facts1 cup stew with 1/3 cup noodles: 248 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 315mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 6g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Mediterranean Beef Stew in Taste of Home A+ Recipes from Schools Across America RTL 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.