Healthy Seafood Stew
"A friend who lives in Florida shared the recipe for this flavorful stew that's seasoned with chili powder and orange juice concentrate," informs Carolyn Hayes of Marion, Illinois. "My husband really enjoys it, so I make it often."
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 cup julienned green pepper
- 3/4 cup julienned sweet red or yellow pepper
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 8 ounces orange roughy or red snapper fillet, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 ounces uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3/4 cup orange juice concentrate
- In a saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Add the rice, chili powder and garlic; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender. Add the tomatoes, peppers and onion. Cover and cook over medium heat until vegetables are tender. Add fish, shrimp and orange juice concentrate. Cover and simmer for 2-4 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork and the shrimp turn pink.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 208 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 578mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 13g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fruit.
Originally published as Seafood Stew in Light & Tasty Premiere 2001