Healthy Scalloped Tomatoes
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 slices whole wheat bread, toasted and cubed
- 4 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- In a nonstick skillet, cook onion and celery in butter until tender. Stir in the flour until blended; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the honey, mustard, salt and pepper until blended. Stir in bread cubes and tomatoes.
- Transfer to an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 88 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 304mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Feb 4, 2016
I found this recipe to be a tasty dish & I could've eaten the entire thing! I did use a can of undrained Italian diced tomatoes, 1 chopped onion, 2 Tbsp. butter, 2 tsp. Dijon mustard, but kept the celery, flour, honey, salt and pepper as recipe stated. I also used the 2 slices of whole wheat bread, toasted and cubed. I baked 40 minutes at 350o F. in a 1-qt. casserole dish, coated with cooking spray. Thank you for this recipe! delowenstein
Sep 27, 2013
So good! I just loved this. So nice to have a casserole without cream or cheese. Used tomato-basil flavoured croutons and a bit more butter/flour.
Jul 21, 2012
Very tasty. Kept pretty much to the recipe but used agave syrup instead of honey and added 1/4 cup (yes, just 1/4 cup) of shredded cheddar cheese to top at end. Didn't want it to be too runny so seeded half of the tomatoes.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.