- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, divided
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the onion, red pepper and garlic in oil until tender. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the bread crumbs, chili powder, salt, oregano, cumin, pepper, 2/3 cup diced tomatoes with green chilies, yogurt and egg. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into a loaf and place in an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spoon the remaining diced tomatoes over top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Drain if necessary; let stand for 15 minutes before slicing. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forHealthy Meatloaf
"This meatloaf is good. We have had to change the way we cook and eat since a family member's recent diabetes diagnosis and this fits the bill. I used steel cut oats instead of bread crumbs, and I used sour cream in place of the yogurt simply because that's what I had on hand. I also threw in about a half cup of ground flax seed to boost protein and Omega 3's. I was impressed and so was my family. This one is a keeper and I loved the Tex-Mex flavors."
"My husband told me it was the best meatloaf he's eaten and told me to keep the recipe and make it again. Thank you Mary Relyea for sharing your recipe."
"Very good the night I served it. For some reason, it was FANTASTIC as leftovers."
"My husband loved all the meat!"
"Where is the photo as published in my healthy Cooking magazine?"
"Success! Children and hubby had second helpings."