Healthy Lemon Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (.3 ounce) sugar-free lemon gelatin
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 can (5-1/2 ounces) apricot nectar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Coat a 10-in. fluted tube pan with cooking spray and dust with flour; add the batter.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack. With a meat fork or wooden skewer, poke holes in cake.
- Set aside 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar. In a small bowl, combine the remaining confectioners' sugar and lemon juice. Gradually pour over warm cake. Cool completely. Dust with reserved confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 227 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 274mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Jun 13, 2013
This cake was quick to make, and has a pound cake texture. I made this for Easter and again for a dinner party. I didn't use the glaze - we ate it plain the first time and with just a bit of leftover lemon-flavored cream cheese frosting drizzled over the top the second time. We have several diabetic friends and a friend who doesn't care for lemon and they all raved about this cake. It's not a sickeningly sweet cake, which is exactly what I was looking for. Yum!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.