Healthy Italian Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 2-3/4 hours
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 pounds)
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 4-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, brown roast on all sides; drain. Combine the water, garlic and seasonings; pour over roast. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 hours or until meat is tender.
- Discard bay leaves. Remove roast to a serving platter; let stand for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, for gravy, pour pan drippings and loosened browned bits into a measuring cup; skim and discard fat. Transfer to a small saucepan. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Slice beef; serve with gravy.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 183 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 398mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Aug 28, 2013
Where are the stars?
Apr 28, 2012
I've been making this for several years. After browning the meat I add 1/2 cup water to the pan and bring to boil, loosening the bits of meat. Then put meat, seasonings and liquid into a crockpot to cook until tender.
Dec 1, 2009
This was the best pot roast I've ever made. It was very simple to make. I accidentally added the corn starch at the very beginning so I had to add more liquid to the sauce during cooking. The crushed red pepper flakes made this a bit spicy. Not extremely, but if you have someone that doesn't like the heat, you could leave this out. The gravy/sauce was outstanding on mashed potatoes. A keeper in our family