- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar substitute, baking soda and salt; cut in butter. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened. Fold in currants. Knead on a floured surface 8-10 times. Shape into a 7-in. round loaf; place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).
Reviews forHealthy Irish Soda Bread
"My husband made five loaves for a St. Patty's Day potluck at our church, and everyone LOVED it!"