Healthy Hot Fudge Pudding Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup baking cocoa, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup prune baby food
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1-1/4 cups boiling water
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 3/4 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons cocoa, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, combine the milk, baby food and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Spread into an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Combine brown sugar with remaining sugar and cocoa; sprinkle over the batter. Carefully pour water over the top (do not stir). Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 28-32 minutes or until top is set and edges pull away from sides of dish. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 196 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 164mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Sep 7, 2012
This was a great recipe. Everyone liked it; you could still taste a little of the plum puree in it, but it was very chocolatey.
Mar 9, 2012
Absolutely loved. Very tasty. Can't wait to make again.
Mar 9, 2012
Absolutely loved, so good and tasty. Even my son loved it. Can't wait to make it again.
Jan 4, 2012
Prune taste was disgusting, might be worth trying applesauce, but not worth the work since first try was horrible
Jan 3, 2012
Made this for the first time and will definitely be making it many more times. My entire family loved it-including my pickiest eater!
Jul 14, 2011
While the consistency of this cake was really good, it didn't taste a thing like hot fudge. The prune flavor overwhelmed the whole cake. I don't know how this passed TOH's test kitchen, but please don't waste your time or ingredients on it.
May 3, 2011
My family really did not care for this. They kept asking what the weird taste was, I'm assuming it was the prunes. I wonder if it would taste any different using applesauce? I will not be making it again to find out. Too bad, we really wanted to love it...
Feb 2, 2011
Very yummy! I used applesauce for the prunes as I had it in my pantry. Wonderful chocolate dessert!
Dec 14, 2010
Very, very good!! I used to make the original (full-fat) version of this recipe. I love the fact that we can enjoy it in a healthier version--and it's a great portion size. Not a bite-size dessert. My whole family LOVES this recipe. We top it with Light Whipped Cream. Highly recommend for that chocolate craving when you are trying to eat healthier.
Feb 23, 2010
This was so easy and turned out great. Does anyone know how it is leftover?