Healthy Hoppin’ John
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 miin.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup fresh baby carrots, halved lengthwise
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked spicy chicken sausage links, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the onion, carrots and celery in oil for 3 minutes. Add sausage; cook 3 minutes longer. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in the peas, stock, bay leaf, thyme, pepper and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in vinegar. Simmer, uncovered, 5-10 minutes longer or until carrots are tender.
- Discard bay leaf. Combine rice and chopped green onions; divide among six bowls. Top with sausage mixture. Sprinkle with sliced green onion.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 352 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 817mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 7g fiber), 22g protein.
Jan 3, 2018
VERY Flavorful and easy to make. I used turkey sausage links instead, but think that kielbasa would be great.
Jan 15, 2016
VERY TASTY! This is now one of my favorite "go to" recipes! When I first made this version of Hoppin' John, I used the spicy chicken; but when that was unavailable, I tried Polish kielbasa and it gave this dish a little more zip - even though not quite as healthy. Either way, this is very tasty. I do mix the green onions into the rice when the rice is done as suggested by Debra and that's a great idea. The leftovers - rice into the storage container then putting the vegetable/bean mix on top. Leftovers heated in the microwave is good too!
Mar 20, 2013
I don't generally like black-eyed peas but this whole mix was really good! I didn't add the green onions because I didn't have any but no one missed them.
Nov 29, 2012
It was really good! And easy to make! It was the first time my hubby and I have had Black Eyed Peas and they were good!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.