Healthy Hoppin' John Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup fresh baby carrots, halved lengthwise
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked spicy chicken sausage links, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute the onion, carrots and celery in oil for 3 minutes. Add sausage; cook 3 minutes longer. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes longer.
- 2. Stir in the peas, stock, bay leaf, thyme, pepper and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in vinegar. Simmer, uncovered, 5-10 minutes longer or until carrots are tender.
- 3. Discard bay leaf. Combine rice and chopped green onions; divide among six bowls. Top with sausage mixture. Sprinkle with sliced green onion. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving: 352 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 817mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 7g fiber), 22g protein.
Reviews for Healthy Hoppin' John
"VERY TASTY! This is now one of my favorite "go to" recipes! When I first made this version of Hoppin' John, I used the spicy chicken; but when that was unavailable, I tried Polish kielbasa and it gave this dish a little more zip - even though not quite as healthy. Either way, this is very tasty. I do mix the green onions into the rice when the rice is done as suggested by Debra and that's a great idea. The leftovers - rice into the storage container then putting the vegetable/bean mix on top. Leftovers heated in the microwave is good too!"
"I don't generally like black-eyed peas but this whole mix was really good! I didn't add the green onions because I didn't have any but no one missed them."
"It was really good! And easy to make! It was the first time my hubby and I have had Black Eyed Peas and they were good!"