Healthy Cranberry Pumpkin Bread
Betty Jackson of White Pine, Tennessee writes, “I wanted to add some extra flavors, such as cranberries, to one of our favorite pumpkin bread recipes, so I kept experimenting. This sweet bread turned out great.”
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (12 slices each)
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 3/4 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- In a small saucepan, combine the raisins, cranberries and orange juice. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. In a small bowl, combine the pumpkin, cranberry sauce and molasses. Beat in the eggs, oil and vanilla until blended. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the pecans, orange zest and raisin mixture.
- Transfer to two 8x4-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Editor's NoteAs a substitute for each cup of self-rising flour, place 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a measuring cup. Add all-purpose flour to measure 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 159 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 192mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Cranberry-Pumpkin Bread in Light & Tasty December/January 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.