Healthy Coffee Angel Food Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 12 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1-1/4 cups cake flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a small bowl, dissolve coffee granules in boiling water; set aside. Sift flour and sugar together twice; set aside.
- Add the cream of tartar, extracts, salt and coffee mixture to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add brown sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 172 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 159mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 8, 2015
This angel food cake was very good! We enjoyed the hint of coffee flavor; however, I did make it a little "unhealthy" by adding a drizzle of chocolate glaze (which my husband appreciated!) Because it's just the two of us, I cut the recipe in half and baked it in a loaf pan. This cake is a nice ending to a filling meal!