Healthy Coffee Angel Food Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 12 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1-1/4 cups cake flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a small bowl, dissolve coffee granules in boiling water; set aside. Sift flour and sugar together twice; set aside.
- Add the cream of tartar, extracts, salt and coffee mixture to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add brown sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 172 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 159mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Sep 8, 2015
This angel food cake was very good! We enjoyed the hint of coffee flavor; however, I did make it a little "unhealthy" by adding a drizzle of chocolate glaze (which my husband appreciated!) Because it's just the two of us, I cut the recipe in half and baked it in a loaf pan. This cake is a nice ending to a filling meal!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.