Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 15 min.
Makes8 servings (3 quarts)
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 corn tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1/2-inch strips
- Broil chicken 3-4 in. from the heat for 5-6 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°.
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, cook onion until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, beans, tomato sauce, tomato paste, chilies and seasonings. Shred chicken with two forks; add to soup. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place tortilla strips on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until crisp. Serve with soup.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 227 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 818mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 8g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 13, 2015
Feb 23, 2015
This is my new favorite comfort food! I've always wanted to make this kind of soup but was always a bit daunted by other recipes. This one is yummy and has the perfect amount of heat so it's not overwhelming. The only things I changed was I only had a can of black beans instead of kidney beans and I added 1 1/2 cups of frozen corn at the end. I had whole wheat tortillas and used those to make the strips. Soooo good!!
Jan 13, 2015
The recipe is good, but I think more chili powder could be added to the recipe in order to add more spice (we like a lot of spice in our family). The recipe as is was slightly bland. It also wouldn't hurt to season the chicken prior to broiling it so that there's that extra kick in the soup.
Mar 31, 2012
Added corn and black beans.
Oct 14, 2011
Apr 7, 2011
We enjoyed this recipe very much. I made a few changes to give it a bit more flavor. I doubled the amount of garlic and cumin, and added another teaspoon of chili powder. I used 2 cans of black beans instead of the kidney beans, and I also added 1 can of undrained Mexicorn and a couple of dashes of hot sauce. We like it a bit on the spicier side, but it wasn't too hot. It sounds like I made a lot of changes, but the basic recipe is a good one, easily adapted to your taste.
Jan 24, 2011
Lots of flavor, I cooked the chicken right in with the garlic and onion, and took out to shred.
Mar 11, 2010
I wasn't very impressed with this recipe. I've tasted other recipes similar to this that I liked better.
Oct 22, 2009
I add corn instead of the beans and always add some chipotle tabasco. Delicious every time!
Jan 25, 2009
My husband and I LOVE this soup! I've made it several times. It's very spicy with the chiles, so I prefer to leave them out. It's so healthy and it really fills you up. I will continue to make it again and again. Delicious!!!