Healthy Chicken Dumpling Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup 1% cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook chicken until no longer pink. Add the broth, water, vegetables and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, for dumplings, in a large bowl, beat the egg whites and cottage cheese until blended. Add water and salt. Stir in the flour and mix well.
- Bring soup to a boil. Drop dumplings by tablespoonfuls onto the boiling soup. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in dumplings comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering).
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 363 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 900mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 42g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 9, 2016
Graceful24, is it possible that you could post your recipe for dumplings? Much appreciated! Homecookinma
Mar 8, 2016
Healthy Yes! I thought it was great. My 4 kinds, 15, 14 and two 5 year olds said: boring and gross. My husband said its ok, as he politely ate a bowl.
Mar 7, 2016
This is the potato dumpling recipe my German relatives always used with Sour Beef. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/61002/kartoffel-kloesse-potato-dumplings/
Mar 7, 2016
It is low fat, but much too high in sodium for one serving. I left out half the salt and it was still very good.
Mar 7, 2016
I make dumplings using mashed potatoes. Then flour, butter and eggs are added. A Danish recipe passed down from my grandma. Mashed potatoes have no added ingredients. I'm away from my recipe collection so am not able to share recipe. One could use gluten free flour ....
Mar 7, 2016
This recipe is very good. It's a wonderful lowfat version of the original. For Styli_32, see if you can find a recipe for potato dumplings. My grandmother made them whenever she made Sour Beef and Dumplings. Her recipe does contain regular flour but you might find a recipe that uses a type of gluten free flour. Good luck.Thank you, Brenda White, for sharing your recipe.
Sep 17, 2014
My family LOVES chicken and dumplings, but my daughter has severe Celiac disease. I have been trying to figure out a way to make dumplings without flour, that will hold up. If anyone has any suggestions please share :)
Aug 8, 2014
I've lost track of how many times I've made this. It is my go-to recipe for chicken soup. We've really enjoy the chewiness of the dumplings, but when I want something different, I've thrown in some cooked egg noodles too. I always add a bit more pepper, and I've tried adding diced potatoes and corn. If you use the whole egg, it is a much richer dumpling flavor, but we prefer just the egg whites here. All combinations have been eaten without complaint here though.
Apr 25, 2014
So you bring the soup to a boil twice?
Sep 4, 2012