Healthy Carrot-Parsnip Soup
Eleanor Chilson of Plantation, Florida enjoys her memories of this tasty soup almost as much as making it. “My mom made it for us on chilly autumn or winter nights,” she recalls. Tip: For added richness, use up the half-and-half cream in recipes that call for milk.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 small potato, peeled and sliced
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- In a small saucepan, combine the broth, parsnips, carrots, potato, celery, onion and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove half of the vegetables to a bowl; cover and keep warm.
- Cool remaining vegetables for 5 minutes. Transfer to a blender; cover and process for 30 seconds. Add cream; process until blended. Add reserved vegetables; pulse until vegetables are chopped. Return all to the saucepan; heat through.