Hazelnut Yeast Bread
A flurry of yuletide activities-and a tasty recipe-can help you make the most of your handy bread machine during this hectic time. This hearty loaf is nutty and simply delicious.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 3 hours
Makes1 loaf (1 pound, 16 slices)
- 2/3 cup warm milk (70° to 80°)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- In a bread machine pan, place the first eight ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available.
- Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed). Just before the final kneading (your bread machine may audibly signal this), add hazelnuts.
Editor's NoteWe recommend you do not use a bread machine's time-delay feature for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 139 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 130mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Hazelnut Yeast Bread in Country Woman Christmas 2005