Hazelnut Macarons Recipe
- 6 large egg whites
- 1-1/2 cups hazelnuts, toasted
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Dash salt
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- COFFEE BUTTERCREAM:
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons water
- 6 large egg yolks
- 4 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1. Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. Place hazelnuts and confectioners' sugar in a food processor; pulse until nuts are finely ground.
- 3. Add salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add superfine sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Fold in hazelnut mixture.
- 4. Cut a small hole in a corner of a food-safe plastic bag. Pipe 1-in.-diameter cookies 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake until lightly browned and firm to the touch, 9-12 minutes. Transfer cookies on the parchment paper to wire racks; cool completely.
- 5. For buttercream, in a heavy saucepan, combine sugar and water. Bring to a boil; cook over medium-high heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat. In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot syrup into egg yolks; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Cook until thickened, 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly; remove from heat. Stir in espresso powder and vanilla; cool completely.
- 6. In a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, beat butter until creamy. Gradually beat in cooled syrup. Beat in confectioners' sugar until fluffy. Refrigerate until mixture firms to a spreading consistency, about 10 minutes.
- 7. Spread about 1-1/2 teaspoons buttercream onto the bottom of each of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies. Store in airtight containers in the refrigerator. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Editor’s Note: To toast whole hazelnuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven until fragrant and lightly browned, 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. To remove skins, wrap hazelnuts in a tea towel; rub with towel to loosen skins.
1 sandwich cookie: 117 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 67mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.