Hazelnut & Honey Roasted Squash
I enjoy both winter squash and nuts and combined them to make this tasty variation on baked acorn squash. I added apples to give it an extra level of flavor. It will go well with most hearty entrees.—Gloria Bradley, Naperville, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallot
- 2 medium acorn squash, halved and cut into 1-inch slices
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped peeled tart apple
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Place the hazelnuts, butter, honey and shallot in a food processor; cover and pulse until hazelnuts are finely chopped.
- Place squash in a greased shallow roasting pan; sprinkle with salt. Spread 1/2 cup hazelnut mixture over squash. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the apple, lemon juice, cinnamon and remaining hazelnut mixture. Spoon over squash; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until apples and squash are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 240 calories, 18g fat (8g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 159mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as HAZELNUT AND SHALLOT HONEY ROASTED ACORN SQUASH in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.