Hazelnut Date Pumpkin Bread
In the fall when the leaves are changing, baking fever takes over. This tender pumpkin bread will make your home smell delicious. The crunchy hazelnuts and sweet dates make it feel extra special. —Lorraine Caland, Shuniah, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
Makes3 loaves (12 slices each)
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 can (29 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups chopped hazelnuts
- 2 cups chopped dates
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, whisk the first 7 ingredients. In a stand mixer, beat eggs, pumpkin, milk, oil and vanilla until blended. Beat in flour mixture just until moistened. Fold in hazelnuts and dates.
- Transfer to 3 greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 50-55 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool. Freeze option: Securely wrap cooled loaves in foil, then freeze. To use, thaw at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 252 calories, 11g fat (1g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 247mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as PUMPKIN LOAVES in Taste of Home August/September 2019
Sep 6, 2019
My family loved this bread. I made one with and without the nuts to accommodate someone who can't eat nuts. The recipe states it makes three breads. I cut the recipe in half and there was enough for two decent size breads.