Hazelnut Crumb Coffee Cake
This was a plain brunch cake that I played around with until I came up with this recipe. My husband says it tastes like a hot fudge sundae.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg, beaten
- In a small bowl, combine the flour and sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in nuts; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt chocolate over low heat. Stir until smooth; cool. In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Add the sour cream, butter and egg; beat until blended. Remove 1 cup of batter; stir in chocolate.
- Spread the remaining batter into a greased 8-in. square baking dish; spoon chocolate batter over the top. Cut through batters with a knife to swirl. Sprinkle with reserved nut topping. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.