Hazelnut Crumb Coffee Cake
This was a plain brunch cake that I played around with until I came up with this recipe. My husband says it tastes like a hot fudge sundae.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg, beaten
- In a small bowl, combine the flour and sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in nuts; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt chocolate over low heat. Stir until smooth; cool. In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Add the sour cream, butter and egg; beat until blended. Remove 1 cup of batter; stir in chocolate.
- Spread the remaining batter into a greased 8-in. square baking dish; spoon chocolate batter over the top. Cut through batters with a knife to swirl. Sprinkle with reserved nut topping. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 570 calories, 29g fat (16g saturated fat), 119mg cholesterol, 515mg sodium, 71g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Hazelnut Crumb Coffee Cake in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.