Hazelnut Cocoa Cake
Perfectly sized for two, this luscious layer cake is easy to prepare. “A jar of chocolate hazelnut spread makes a sweet, creamy frosting without any of the work,” says Michaela Rosenthal of Woodland Hills, California.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups cake flour
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup Nutella
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
- In a small bowl, cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with cheese, beating well after each addition. Stir in water until blended.
- Pour into two 6-in. round baking pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Spread Nutella between layers and over the top of cake. Sprinkle with hazelnuts.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 849 calories, 52g fat (22g saturated fat), 158mg cholesterol, 362mg sodium, 93g carbohydrate (66g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Double Layer Mascarpone & Hazelnut Cocoa Cake in Cooking for 2 Winter 2009