Hazelnut Bonbon Cookies
Take hazelnuts to a whole new level. Wrap them up in cookie dough, dip in chocolate and finish with sprinkles or colored sugar. —Nancy Mueller, Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 2 teaspoons hot water
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 42 whole hazelnuts
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- Chocolate and gold jimmies
- In a small bowl, dissolve espresso powder in hot water; cool. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter, confectioners' sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla and espresso mixture. Gradually beat in flour.
- Wrap 1 heaping teaspoon dough around each hazelnut to cover completely. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For glaze, in a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Whisk in confectioners' sugar until blended. Dip tops of cookies in glaze; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; sprinkle with jimmies and let stand until set.
- Freeze option: Freeze unglazed cookies, layered between waxed paper, in freezer containers. To use, thaw cookies in covered containers. Dip in glaze as directed.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as BASED ON: Hazelnut-Mocha Bonbon Cookies in Simple & Delicious December/January 2014