VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (6 ounces) dried apricots, chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange peel
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 6 sheets frozen phyllo dough (14-inches x 9-inches), thawed
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup graham cracker crumbs (about 5 squares)
- In a saucepan, combine apricots, sugar and peel. Stir in orange juice and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until juice is absorbed, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature. Set aside 1 tablespoon nuts; toast remaining nuts. Stir into apricot mixture.
- Cover a work surface with a piece of plastic wrap larger than the phyllo sheet. Place one sheet of phyllo on the plastic wrap. Keep remaining phyllo sheets covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel. Working quickly, layer each sheet of phyllo, brushing with butter and sprinkling with a tablespoon of crumbs over each sheet. Carefully spread filling along one long edge to within 2 in. of edges. Fold the two short sides over filling. Using the plastic wrap to help lift one long side, roll up jelly-roll style.
- Use the plastic wrap to help transfer strudel to a greased baking sheet. Brush top with butter and score top lightly every 1-1/2 in. Sprinkle with reserved nuts. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Slice at scored marks. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Hazelnut Apricot Strudel in Complete Guide to Baking 2004, p206