Haystacks with Cheese Sauce
Here's a recipe from my daughter that has a lot going for it. It's simple to toss together with ingredients I usually have on hand...and it's fun at the table, too, because everyone gets to build their own "haystack"!—Dorothy Krauss, Halstead, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- CHEESE SAUCE:
- 4 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 can (11 ounces) condensed cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
- 1/2 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- Corn chips
- Cooked rice
- Shredded lettuce
- Picante sauce, optional
- In a skillet, cook beef with onion until the beef is browned and the onion is tender; drain. Stir in tomato soup, chili powder, oregano, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper; simmer until heated through.
- For cheese sauce, melt butter in a saucepan. Add flour; cook and stir until a smooth paste forms. Gradually add milk; cook and stir until thickened. Stir in cheese soup. Add cheese; cook only until it melts.
- To serve, prepare individual corn chip "nests"; layer each with meat mixture, rice and lettuce. Top with cheese sauce, and picante sauce if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 366 calories, 24g fat (13g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 1281mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein.
Originally published as Haystacks with Cheese Sauce in Country Ground Beef
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.