Haystack Supper Recipe
- 1-3/4 cups crushed saltines (about 40 crackers)
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups tomato juice
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning mix
- Seasoned salt, salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 pound process American cheese, cubed
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 jar (10 ounces) stuffed olives, drained and sliced
- 1 package (14-1/2 ounces) tortilla chips
- 1. Divide crackers between two ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Top with rice. In a skillet, cook beef and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. add tomato juice, water and seasonings; simmer for 15-20 minutes. Spoon over rice. Sprinkle with lettuce and tomatoes.
- 2. In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in American cheese until melted. Pour over the tomatoes. Top with cheddar cheese and olives. Serve with chips. Refrigerate any leftovers. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews for Haystack Supper
"Thanks Jill Steiner and taste of home for an easy and tasty recipe."
"This is a great way to serve Tex-Mex and the addition of rice makes it perfect!"
"this is great dish very easy to make.taste so good use the olives makes it so much the better"
"Excellent dish! I would use as an appetizer maybe. Delicious!"
"The guys in our family really, really love this!"
"This is a delicious addition to any meal and I'm very okay with it. My family loves it and we'll be keeping this recipe."